Can't you just have the action that "fronts" the PDF servlet return a forward
that represents the path to that servlet?

web.xml:

<servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-name>pdfServlet</servlet-name>
  <url-pattern>/pdf</url-pattern>
<servlet-mapping>

You could also include a <security-constraint> element to ensure that clients
can't make direct requests to the PDF servlet.

struts-config.xml:

<global-forwards>
  <forward name="pdfServlet" path="/pdf"/>
</global-forwards>

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>