It's not really conform to the idea that the deploying administrator
shouldn't have to touch the webapp to make it run. In case you want to
configure your .war packed webapp you would have to unpack, edit
struts-config.xml and so on.
One idea behind J2EE was "write once, run everywhere, as long as you can
deploy it" ;-)
And thus the deployment should be independent from the webapp internals.

So server.xml is the cleaner solution even if it won't make a big
difference in many cases.

Development must be non-container specific (specs), deployment is
container specific and shouldn't be webapp specific.

Michael