Hi

     Our pre-selection is working though. Actually our values are in the
database . So we use a populate action that other actions extend.

     We apply a pre-selection filter like this to make the first value of a
multi-select drop-down always  selected.

      The values are in a ArrayList in the scope.

      Get the value bean.

        LabelValueBean bean =( LabelValueBean )((( ArrayList
)request.getSession().

getAttribute( name )).get( 0 ));

      Create a filter.

        ArrayList preselectedFilter = new ArrayList();
        preselectedFilter.add( bean.getValue() );

      Apply the filter.

        form.setData( ( String[] ) preselectedFilter.toArray( new String[0]
) );

      After this set the form bean in the appropriate scope. This might
help.

Mohan