Websphere 5 allows you to place JSPs under the WEB-INF directory. So did
Websphere 4.

It's not a trick but, as Nathan said, part of the specification. The reason
some containers didn't support it for version 2.2 is that the spec was a
little ambiguous. It has been clarified in 2.3 as being permitted.

Steve