I've never been a fan of having SQL tags (especially the updating ones) in
JSTL, for all the obvious reasons.  However, there are a whole bunch of
developers in the world who are used to model 1 style development (VB, PHP,
PERL, Cold Fusion, ...), and it would not be fair for expert groups to
ignore the needs of those developers, simply because we might not like what
people will do with the result.  This was a case where the group creating
the standard was actually listening to what users wanted.

Would these developers be the ones who have to write an app with a deadline of last week and a sales manager who says "I don't give a monkeys about design, just f***ing do it!"