--- Wendy Smoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Adam wrote:
> > On a related subject, what criteria does one use to decide whether to
> > put these in tomcat's commons/lib directory, or in the webapp's own
> lib
> > directory when deploying?
>
> I've never considered putting them in a common area.  I like my webapps
> be as self-contained as possible, so I can make a .war file on my
> development box and deploy it on the production box with very few
> changes.
>
> The .jar files aren't big enough that I'm worried about disk space.
> What
> other reasons do people have for putting some .jars in the common area?

I used to have commons-dbcp.jar, commons-pool.jar, and my db driver jar in
the WEB-INF/lib directory.  Removing pool and dbcp and moving the driver
to common/lib made reloading my apps finally work properly.  DB
configuration is a container responsibility so it doesn't make sense for
each app to have the related db jars in their lib directories.

David