The best back button solution I found with source is here:
http://www.robertpenner.com/experiments/backbutton/backbutton_code.html
Click next row, next row; and then back button goes to prior row. And you do not have to worry about browser compatibility (and it works on PocketPC. Yes, I have been talking about it a lot)

<SNIP> Got any insights on what is
going to replace this protocol?

Yes, html/http is so 80's; it needs a replacement.
I just stayed in holiday in.
They said:
http://www.xmlrpc.com/directory/1568/implementations or some similar light XML based SOA.

PHP, J2EE, Peal, ASP, you pick it. No client is monolithic. I will be presenting an sync. zipcode decode at an upcoming Struts-NJ meeting via .js /Struts.
When the user types in zipcode, the state and city fields is filled out async. without a submit (using XML-RPC)
Did I say that it is Cross platform?

.V