> XForms is cool and all, but ...
>
> * Does anyone care?  Even Microsoft (who would arguably need to be
>   convinced to implement support for this to make it a viable
>   real world standard)?
>
> * Does it deal with back buttons and bookmarks?  I've read the XForms
>   specs several times, and still don't have any clue that they've
>   got any magic bullets related to these issues.
>
> The fundamental issues seem more related to HTTP than they are to any
> particular presentation markup language.  Got any insights on what is
> going to replace this protocol?

W3C is in processes of modularizations, from HTML to XHTML (basic,
1.0, and 1.1) and XForms as part of it. The philosophy W3C holds is to
provide *pure* document-based modules according to the following
observations:

In XHTML 1.1 Strict DTD, it excludes any elements or attributes that are
even remotely tied to presentation characteristics. For example, there
is no target attribute in hyper links, no frames/frameset, etc. They are
pretty much moving themselves away from real worlds - in which
any documents should live inside some windows on screens, especially
browser windows.

The back/forward/refresh/bookmark buttons are part of browser windows.
XForms would be a wrong place to look for solutions that could solve
these buttons' problems, even in the future. And they are not related to
HTTP protocols either.

They are more like browser vendors' issues. It is conceivable that
if someone could convince browser vendors,
in particular MS, to disable these buttons using JavaScript or through
some event handlers, such as onBack, onForward, onRefresh, and
onBookmark, our Web Applications would perform much better to
meet users' expectations.

> Craig

Jing
Netspread Carrier