Best practice is not to code to JDBC. (Just like do not code to servlet but to Struts).
Best practice is to USE a DAO, like iBatis or Hibernate, thus not having to code to low level API, but just the application itself and use persistence, as opposed to bit twiddling. Take a look at DB Layer .PDF on iBatis.com.
.V

Sasha Borodin wrote:
You could use a PreparedStatement, which automatically escapes single
quotes, I believe:

String sqlStmt = "INSERT INTO table1 (col1) VALUES (?)";

pstmt = con.prepareStatement(sqlStmt);
pstmt.setString(1, someStringWhichMightHaveQuotes);
rs = pstmt.executeQuery();

HTH,

-Sasha