OH.  Sigh.  I had originally set all the attributes on the EL tags to
have that set to "false", because in JSP 1.2 that refers to whether it
will use scriptlet expressions or not, and I wanted to discourage the
use of those.  I had recently decided to change those back to "true" out
of a sudden attack of pragmatism, but now I see that this (the "false"
setting) is causing a more serious problem.  In JSP 2.0, the meaning of
this flag is slightly different (I'm assuming) in that it appears a
setting of "false" means it won't evaluate EL expressions.

I'll try to get to fixing these tonight and getting it into the nightly
build, at least.