Quoting Christian Bollmeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Am Montag, 17. November 2003 22:48 schrieb Daniel Blumenthal:
>
> Hi,
>
> > i've been looking into adding blogging functionality to my website
> > (which uses struts), and one which was suggested was pmachine
> > (http://www.pmachine.com/index.php). however, this uses php, and this
> > raised the question of how/if it was possible to use php with struts.
> > (obviously, i can just specify a php page instead of a jsp, but how
> > do i get dynamic data without relying on the jsp tags?)
>
> As soon as you leave the Java world, the only means of passing
> dynamic content is the 'traditional' way, i.e. parameters. You lose
> everything from page to application scopes and won't be able
> to use attributes (Objects) in particular, as those reside inside
> the VM's memory and thus are inaccessible from PHP.

Alas, this is pretty much the case today.  However, there is a JSR in progress
that is excplicitly designed to define a standard way that scripting languages
and Java can interact (and share access to Java objects, and the HttpSession
instance, along the way).  Keep an eye out for progress on:

  http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=223

Note that the Zend folks are actively involved in this effort, so we can expect
that support for PHP in particular should be pretty well planned.

Craig