Right, I get it. So you not only want the higher level user to take on the lower level user's role, you want them to have their complete ID or username etc.

Tricky!

I think alot depends on what kind of use you have for the user info. Is it purely roles that are important here? Or is there ownership too? I mean, one user can see his / her stuff, which is not accessible to another user of equal level?

On 03/15/2004 03:39 AM David Friedman wrote:
Jason,

They might need to go into the account underneath them to fix something (if
they are asked) and won't know the password (encrypted).  The admin might
need to fix something for a reseller's client made us look into (admin ->
reseller -> client -> manager -> employee).  I've had a few projects where
someone 2 levels under asks for help from the level immediately above them.
Then it goes up one and up again back to me.  Rather than make interfaces
for everyone for everything, I prefer the idea of "su'ing" into the account
to fix something.  So, I might have to 'become' the reseller (I'm the
admin), then become a client, then become a manager then become an employee
to look at or fix something for them.

Regards,
David

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Lea [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 6:49 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: security framework!!!

David Friedman wrote:

I've also been looking into security frameworks and the only solutions I've
really found are:

1. Standard (container) JAAS
2. SecurityFilter http://securityfilter.sourceforge.net
3. Pow2ACL http://pow2acl.sourceforge.net/

I was hoping, at some point, to use an SSL switching feature such as

SSLext.

From my research, Pow2ACL and SecurityFilter won't work that way.
SecurityFilter has a note that certain 'elements' could be used for it but
the current code makes no use of them in that manner.  As for Pow2ACL, I
didn't find anything suggesting how to use it in that way either.

My bigger problem is my scenario, which no one supports.  I'd like to allow
manager accounts to become one of if it's sub-accounts.  My system would
support at least 5 levels where 4 could 'drill down' and back up again:
admin, reseller, client, manager, employee (bottom feeder, no managerial
tools and no popping into their accounts).  Since there is no easily way to

Trying to figure out what you are asking here can you give an example?

If you have the following:
1. User Manfred is a manager
2. User Emily is an Employee
3. Emily is an employee under Manfred

Are you saying that Manfred can become Emily and perform certain
tasks/actions?  Then Manfred would return to be Manfred the manager?

push/pop or even set (then I could use my own internal stack) a
UserPrincipal object, I'm thinking of using something a bit like
SecurityFilter: wrap the request object with a subclass of
HttpServeletRequestWrapper and add my own push/pop/set/get/count
UserPrincipal object(s).  Then, I could hook the login procedure with
container methods (JAAS, i.e. a web browser login/password pop-up) and

still

be able to (when I'm ready) use SSLext or something like it for the
HTTP/HTTPS switching.

Regards,
David