Since I just wrestled greatly with this particular beast, my $.02 follows.

Subclass whatever flavor of ActionForm you use, and give it a method with a
footprint like-

java.util.Date StringToDate(String)
{
}

This way you can do something like this in your action:

public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping,
                            ActionForm form,
                            HttpServletRequest request,
                            HttpServletResponse response) throws Exception
{
  Myform mf = (Myform) form;
  BizObject bo = new BizObject();
  String dateText = mf.getDateString();
  bo.setDate(mf.StringToDate(dateText);
  // etc
}

This works very well unless internationalizing your app because the converter
needs a DateFormat defined to read the String correctly. And I am, so I need
to come up with something.

I don't suppose there is a version of BeanUtils that lets the user pass a
DateFormat into copyProperties :-)???

-Joe