> On Dec 9, 2023, at 18:08, Michael wrote:
>

> I have used (b) in the past, and gone for a concatenation of a datestring
> with a counter - this results in release numbers that make it obvious how
> recent they are, which is an advantage when trying to help people reporting a
> problem.

Yes, that is much nicer than what we do at this point.

> It also seems to be possible to create release with an indicative name
> without having to add it as a tag in the repository - at least when using
> GitHub actions to create the release:
>

> https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight-configurator/blob/07da3398426b5d6f1e0bd74d37f0e6f0cd622c39/.github/workflows/nightly.yml#L55

Interesting - everything I read in the documentation seemed to imply that this
really needed a tag. How odd.

> This is how the releases created by this look like:
>

> https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight-configurator-nightlies/releases

I think that would be an excellent outcome.

Would you be willing to add this to our GitHub Actions? Or would you prefer if
I tried my hand on this (that won't happen for a day or two - I just came back
from Japan and have a bunch of other stuff to catch up on

> The Windows version of build 262 is working just fine in a VM running Windows
> 10.

Thanks for testing.

> The APK version of build 262 works just fine for me on an older Xiaomi Redmi
> Note 7 running Android 10.

Ditto

>> The app looking hung could be the initial connection / initial download from
>> the cloud. There isn't enough visual feedback for that.
>

> This is only a problem if you have to uninstall the app and then re-install -
> like when moving from the store app to a sideloaded version and encountering
> a new signing key because of this. If we manage to use the same signing for
> all of our nightly builds people will be able to upgrade between them without
> a uninstall / reinstall, and avoid having to re-authenticate and re-download.

IIRC the builds are completely unsigned. At a minimum we'd have to create a
release counter that's monotonic - it seems that the setup for
betaflight-configurator already has that somewhere... I haven't looked.

>> But I'm not planning to do any UI changes until we have things working with
>> Qt6 which will be a while.
>
> Maybe a 'quick win' temporary fix for this would be to add a warning about
> this to the 'Testing cloud credentials' prompt?

Sure, that seems straight forward enough

In summary:

- we need a monotonic, automatic release counter
- we should use that for all releases, regardless of platform
- we should switch to the date / counter naming scheme on all platforms
- we could add a warning to the mobile builds that there may be a fairly long
time where the app will look dead

Am I missing anything?
Would you be willing / interested to handle any (or all 😇) of that.

Thanks

/D