On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 01:19:54AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:

> > For what it's worth, I would prefer to see a patch which simply called "sudo > /sbin/shutdown -h now" and "sudo /sbin/shutdown -r now". I don't see the value
> that D-Bus and ConsoleKit are providing here.
That patch was rejected some time ago. [1]

It is, nevertheless, true that the authentication details vary from platform to platform. I just don't think they vary enough to be worth making more use of
D-Bus and ConsoleKit.
I guess the worth of going through ConsoleKit comes from keeping close to the Gnome codebase and being able to apply parts of their documentation to Sugar - we're rather sparse on the latter.

P.S. - I might feel differently if I knew how to make D-Bus and ConsoleKit work sanely with chroots, which I care about deeply for purposes of testing.
I do most of my development work inside chroots, usually with no system DBus available. I've recently landed several patches in mainline that allow this to work. To me, having shutdown/reboot not work inside a chroot is a feature, not a bug. ;)

[1] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/615

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/