El 09/03/14 12:46, Daniel Narvaez escribió:
On 9 March 2014 17:53, Sebastian Silva <sebast...@fuentelibre.org <mailto:sebast...@fuentelibre.org>> wrote:

    For us to base our work on 0.101+ (new) Sugar, we have to make
    sure we have solved the performance issues plaguing (new) Sugar
    and/or OLPC/OS 13.x.

Which OLPC version are you comparing with? In the rest of the answer I'll call that X.x :)
Well we deployed an image based on 11.3 i.e. Fedora 14. However the focus of my research is Sugar itself. I figure base OS issues are a different beast and worth isolating for this first approach, that's why I figured I wanted the same setup with different Sugar versions.

    For this I need your advice.

    *How do I setup an identical environment for (classic) 0.94 Sugar
    and (new) 0.101+ Sugar? Can I use sugar-build for this, or
    something else...?**
    *

On which hardware and on which distribution?
For Christmas I got an Acer Chromebook c720, cost $US200, got 2GB ram and 16GBSSD. Pretty fast Haswell based processor, coming from an Atom netbook. Quite happy with the upgrade, btw.

Anyway it's probably not going to be trivial. So let me suggest an easier first step. You could test 0.94 activities on the top of OLPC 13.x. If they perform the same as OLPC X.x then we know the issue is the gtk3 toolkit (no change was made to the gtk2 toolkit). If they are bad as stock 13.x activities, then we will know it's something in the system. If it's something in the middle we will have to come up with a more complicated strategy. But I think the data we get from this initial testing will be useful to figure out that strategy.

I will make the time to flash 13.2 on an XO1 and do this informal test. However I has hoping to use my dev environment because I really want a test that can be automated/done quickly, and gives numbers, not just impressions.

    ***How do I profile the session (CPU usage, memory consumption,
    timing)?
    *

For memory I would try this

https://github.com/pixelb/ps_mem

For CPU top should be fine, but it depends what exactly you want to test. For timing I usually just print out time.time intervals from the code :)

    *Do we have some automated GUI testing? Can I make some?*

See sugar-build/build/tests/shell.py, you could use something like that to measure startup time I suppose. Anyway you can use the same kind of code to click around in activities UI etc.
Is this what runs when you do ./osbuild check ?

I tried but it's failing for me and I'm not finding the error. Below is the output. shell.log and datastore.log in home/dotsugar/logs/ don't show any traceback either.

[icarito@aiki sugar-build]$ ./osbuild check

= Check =

* Running smoke test

Command failed: sugar-runner

Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
Initializing built-in extension XTEST
Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
Initializing built-in extension SYNC
Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
Initializing built-in extension RENDER
Initializing built-in extension RANDR
Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
Initializing built-in extension RECORD
Initializing built-in extension DPMS
Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
Initializing built-in extension XVideo
Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
Initializing built-in extension GLX
screen 0 shmid 110952503
[dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Type1/, removing from list!
xinit: XFree86_VT property unexpectedly has 0 items instead of 1
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":99".
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Compat map for group 2 redefined
>                   Using new definition
> Warning:          Compat map for group 3 redefined
>                   Using new definition
> Warning:          Compat map for group 4 redefined
>                   Using new definition
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
xinit: connection to X server lost

! Failed to run command check
[icarito@aiki sugar-build]$