Greetings to all the lovely folks at Sugar Labs,

I’m Rishabh Nambiar (IRC: rishabhnambiar), a 21 year old CS student from
Mumbai, India. I’m interested in the “Sugarizer School Box” project for GSoC
'18 as it aligns with my skill-set really well and lets me use the skills I’ve
picked up from my internship experiences and my Open Source contributions in
the last 3 years. (https://github.com/rish4bhn/).

           This is directed towards the potential mentors for the “Sugarizer
School Box” project and anyone from the sugar-devel team. I think I’ve
understood the Problem Statement well but I still have a few questions. So I’ve
written down what I’ve understood from the Ideas page and please correct me if
I have got something wrong.

On booting, The Pi should start a sugarizer-server session that would be
accessible to other devices on the network. Other local WiFi clients should be
able to use sugarizer on their devices, served from the Pi.

The Pi should also start a browser window with a sugarizer-client running by
default so that if a display is connected to it, the Pi can also be used as a
client.

        1) To achieve this, I must use a lightweight distro as a base eg.
Raspbian (maybe something even lighter) and then add the above features to this
base. We could use Raspbian Lite to make it easier for the processor to serve
all clients but that would mean not having the Pi as a client.
        2) The Pi could be used in Access Point mode to expose a WiFi and any
devices running Sugarizer Apps should be able to collaborate with all other
clients on the network as sugarizer-server will be running since boot.

        For the second task to write scripts to deploy sugarizer-server on
Heroku/AWS,
One should be able to run the script, and then access their own instance from
many non-local clients without doing any setup or CLI operations.

        3) To achieve this, can I use a Python script that sets up the Docker
sugarizer-server build on the server? (Guys, the Docker build is flawless!)

        In relation to this, I’d like to say that I have experience with
Python, all Linux distributions, Docker, AWS and Ansible. I’ve been using git
for over 2 years and I have Open Source experience as I’ve worked with ERPNext
(https://erpnext.com/), an open source organization, for a whole summer in 2016.

        4) I also wanted to ask what the next step is. Should I start working
on my proposal or will I get some more guidance from the potential mentors?

        Thanks for your time and for reading this really long e-mail, I’m very
excited at the prospect of working with Sugar Labs, you guys are doing some
really amazing and inspiring work.

Regards,

Rishabh Nambiar