Hmm,
I can think  of two things that might have gone wrong.
The first is that you lack the gettext package.
However, that should be recognized by
sugar-jhbuild/scripts/sysdeps.py

try typing:
$ lsb_release -rs

And the output of:

$ lsb_release -is

And tell me if it reads out.
Maybe the package is missing all together.. or maybe its not detecting you
are in Debian. Because it should tell you what you are missing.

BTW, the git version is the sugar-jhbuild pacakge.