While we're talking about the retarded Red Hat perl rpm, is anyone aware that perl 5.8 as shipped with RHEL has an unpatched bug which can cause an exponential slowdown when using overloading?
(This might have been adressed here already, and if so please ignore me :-X)

This blog post contains the details: http://blog.vipul.net/2008/08/24/redhat-perl-what-a-tragedy/

I incorporated the patches from a core perl dev <http://use.perl.org/~nicholas/journal/37274> which through some simple testing seems to fix the slowdowns while allowing one to retain all the Red Hat perl patches. This is not the fedora patch which still has the potential for slowdowns.

As far as @INC is concerned, we patch our RHEL4 perl to use site_perl before vendor_perl (RHEL5 already does it this way). I've also started building my perl modules with /usr/local prefix for mandir, datadir, etc to avoid any conflicting files in the base perl package.