Hello,
The value of waitSteps counts the number of simulation steps in which a
vehicle was waiting. So if your vehicle waits for 3 seconds and you
simulation with --step-length 0.2 that would be 15 waitSteps.
In the latest development version, the attribute waitSteps is replaced with
waitingTime which is measured in seconds. (
http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/ChangeLog#Git_master).

The value of tau determines the desired time-headway between successive
vehicles. The exact usage of this value depends on the car following model
(see
http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Definition_of_Vehicles,_Vehicle_Types,_and_Routes#Car-Following_Models
)

To model different perception-reaction times, see
http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Car-Following-Models#Model_Parameters

regards,
Jakob