Hello,
vehsPerHour is still limited by the road capacity which may either be
caused by insufficient intersection capacity (i.e. bad signal program,
invalid turning lanes / connections) or inappropriate departure parameters.
For the former, observe the simulation for long queues and tune the
algorithm accordingly.
For the latter, see
http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_get_high_flows.2Fvehicle_densities.3F

If you do not see queues and there are still not enough vehicles after
adjusting departure parameters, send me the scenarion for investigation.

regards,
Jakob