Dear Jakob,

I did what you suggested:

·       Increase traffic: I had tested higher flow and did not see any changes.
That was because of delayed insertion. I forced insertion by increasing the
departSpeed and now I see a significant difference in timeGap values.

·       Reduce cooperation changing: I tested lcCooperative equal to zero but
this was not the best option since lots of vehicles come to a standstill
situation (speed=0) just before the end of the ramp which is not desired in my
simulation scenario.

·       Set lcAssertive to lower values (i.e 0.5 or lower): According to the
definitions, requiredGap is divided by lcAssertive. So, if lcAssertive is lower
than 1, the Gap will be larger. The combination 0f max departSpeed and
lcAssertive=2 led to the smallest timeGaps. However, compared to the field
results (van Beinum et al, 2018), with the same flow, timeGaps are still quite
large. Now I have two more questions:

1.        In lane change output file, I assume the gaps (leader and follower)
do not include the subject length. I add 5m as the vehicle length in
calculating the gap. Is that right?

2.        Is there any other way to make the vehicles accept smaller gaps in
lane changing? I even set tau=0.5, but the merging vehicles (from the ramp)
just stop at the end of the ramp and do not accept small gaps until the main
flow vehicles stop for them. They are just so conservative in lane changing.

Bests,
Solmaz

Reference: van Beinum, A., Farah, H., Wegman, F., Hoogendoorn, S., 2018.
Driving behaviour at motorway ramps and weaving segments based on empirical
trajectory data. Transp. Res. Part C Emerg. Technol. 92, 426–441.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2018.05.018