Dear Joerg,
please try the latest svn version of netconvert (it is due to be release as
0.24.0 next week).
with this version (18172), when running
netconvert -s saffi.net.xml -o saffi2.net.xml
netconvert -s saffi2.net.xml -o saffi3.net.xml
then the resulting networks saffi2.net.xml and saffi3.net.xml are identical.
The changes from saffi.net.xml to saffi2.net.xml are due to recent
improvements in network building (especially at
cluster_252167338_3217719946).

regarding 2)
we are well aware of these deficiencies:
http://sumo.dlr.de/trac.wsgi/ticket/1289
http://sumo.dlr.de/trac.wsgi/ticket/1682
It will have to wait until someone sends us a patch or we need this
ourselves.

regards,
Jakob