John Davis wrote:

> Dear Dialling Colleagues,
>
> The British Sundial Society (BSS) has decided that a Glossary of dialling
> terms would be a good idea. <snip>  In the meantime, it can be viewed on my
> rudimentary web site
> at:
>
> www.btinternet.com/~john.davis
>
> I'd welcome any feedback, and am quite willing to be over-ruled on choices
> of symbols etc, if there is a general consensus.
>
> John
> Dr J R Davis
> Flowton, UK
> 52.08N, 1.043E
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Well done John, an excellent job.
I have a few specific points, none, I think, covered by Fer:

Declination: You are showing your age! For some time now, the maximum
has been closer to 23.4 than 23.5 degrees.

Dial types/analemmatic: Simpler to say "The gnomon position lies on the
N-S
minor axis, at a point...". Misspelling "gnomom" for "gnomon". I don't
agree
that it is for artistic purposes only - it is to allow you to calculate
mean
time. Analemmatic dials were originally most commonly used in a portable
pair of
sundials (one analemmatic, the other a conventional horizontal sundial)
which is
self-orienting. I would add a note that one should not confuse
"analemmatic"
with "analemma", or a reference to Fred Sawyer's article on the subject.

Dial types/armillary sphere: Misspelling "equinoctal"

Dial types/auxiliary: Misspelling "equinoctal". Also, isn't it
"auxilliary" in
the UK?

Dial types/bifilar: I would say "...their heights above the plane being
function of the latitude of the dial.". You use the term "equi-angular"
which
isn't defined in the glossary, though "equiangular" is listed as a dial
type. Personally, I think I would move "equiangular" out of dial types,
into the glossary.

Dial types/Butterfield: "consist" for "consists". I would prefer to say
that the
gnomon has adjustable angle, not height.

Dial types/Capuchin: "Regiomontanus" needs a capital R here and under
"Little Ship".

Dial types/complementary: I find the description most unclear, even
though I
think I know what it is trying to say. Also, I think it is misleading in
equating style height and wrong in its reference to the co-latitude. May
suggest "a horizontal sundial used as an aid to designing a vertical or
reclining sundial. Its gnomon and hour lines are calculated not for the
site of
the proposed vertical dial but for the location where the earth's
surface is
parallel to the dial plate of the proposed dial. For a simple direct
south
vertical dial, for instance, the complementary dial would be identical
to a
horizontal dial for the point 90 degrees to the south.

Dial types/cross: I don't find "..the top pointing south and parallel to
the
polar plane" clear, and the hyperlink is to "polar dial" which isn't
helpful. I
propose "..the top pointing south."

Dial types/cube: I don't find the reference to co-latitude clear. I
propose
"..set the cube so that its 'top' surface is parallel to the equator." I
would cross-reference "polyhedron" from here.

Dial types/double horizontal: I am not familiar with this, but suspect
that the
projection of the sky might be "stereographic", not "stereoscopic".

Dial types/equatorial: Why do you say this is a misnomer? I think it is
a perfectly acceptable alternative term, indeed I prefer it to
"equinoctial". Cousins uses it.

Dial types/equiangular: Since equinoctial dials are equiangular, it is
incorrect to say that the mounting of the gnomon must be movable.

Dial types/equinoctial: As this glossary will be read by people living
outside the UK, I would replace "BST" by "Summer Time / Daylight Saving
Time". You describe only dials with a flat dial plate, but many
equinoctial dials use instead the inside of a ring or section of
cylinder. In these, there is no "underside", of course. Any equinoctial
which is adjustable for latitude is universal. I would mention this
here, as well as saying "See also 'universal equinoctial ring ~'".

Dial types/Foster Lambert: You mention only one case - the diametral
dial. But (as Fer points out, also,) Foster Lambert includes many other
projections, such as the RGO sundial you mention under equiangular, and
two horizontal equiangular forms. See
http://www.iaehv.nl/users/ferdv/projdial.htm

Dial types/globe: For "It can also indicate the meridian.." I would say
"It indicates..". I think you are wrong to distinguish between the
alignments of a globe dial and that of a terrella. Surely they are
identical?

Dial types/heliochronometer: I doubt if we will all agree about what
makes a heliochronometer, but I certainly don't agree that it implies a
"mechanism", and indeed your last example has no mechanism. Nor is it
universally agreed that it must show mean time, I think.

Dial types/hemispherium and hemicyclium: I don't think it is accurate to
say it is "essentially a horizontal altitude dial", as that implies that
the only marks are horizontal rings. The Roman example in Cousins' book
seems to have correct hour lines and declination lines, so is really an
equinoctial dial. Is there any real difference between these and a
scaphe?

Dial types/Little Ship: Misspelling "Venecian" for "Venetian".

Dial types/magnetic: There is also a type, illustrated in
Basserman-Jordan, where the compass needle indicates the time.

Dial type/moon: Misspelling "Queen's" for "Queens'" (There were two
queens.).

Dial types/polar: I find the description a little difficult to
interpret. I propose "in which the dial plate is south-facing, but
reclines so that it is parallel to the polar axis."

Dial types/polarised light: You say it is not particularly accurate, but
I am sure I have read that it is very accurate. I cannot see how it
could be, so you may well be right.

Dial types/solar chronometer: I imagine this was a term invented by
Wheatstone. I haven't heard it applied to other dials with clock faces.

Dial types/universal equinoctial ring: As an alternative to an aperture,
a nodus is sometimes seen, I think.

Ecliptic: Eclipses occur in the ecliptic because the sun is, be
definition, always in it, not because the moon's orbit is near the
ecliptic.

Ellipse: I don't know why you say "(approx.)". Surely any deviation is
so small as to be completely negligible.

Equinoxes: Should say "...the zero of celestial longitude and right
ascension".

Jaipur: The sundial with a 90 foot gnomon is equinoctial, not
horizontal, isn't it? (I could well be wrong.)

Leap-year: I don't like "The introduction of leap years causes the EoT
on a particular day of the year to exhibit a small periodic variation."
I propose "Despite the introduction of leap years the EoT on a
particular day of the year exhibits a small periodic variation, because
a year is not a whole number of days."

I would add an entry for "Self-orienting" or, if you prefer,
"Self-orientating":
a portable sundial which, when adjusted for latitude and/or date, can be
used to
find the direction of South. I think the term "self-southing" is also
used.

Solar compass: Surely, these are versions of an azimuth dial, not an
altitude dial, aren't they?

Please note that some of my comments are to be interpreted as questions,
not definite claims that the glossary is wrong.

Regards

Chris Lusby Taylor
Newbury, England
51.5N, 0.5W

Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:clusby.vcf (TEXT/ttxt) (0000A080)