"Arthur Carlson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I do think being able to look at the sun and estimate directions could be
> useful (in case you forgot to pack a compass, shame on you!). On my list of
> things I would like to do and know how to go about but haven't found the
> time is to investigate telling directions from the moon. I read an article
> in the magazine of the German Alpine Club a few years ago on this topic and
> found it incredible. With a Ph.D. in physics I think I can figure out how
> many hours to add or subtract in which direction to convert moon position to
> sun position and then to direction, but I bet very few people dumb enough to
> get lost at night without a compass can. But even without a watch, if you
> see the moon rising, you know that's east. And if the shadow is oriented
> straight up and down, then the moon is in the south. You don't need to know
> much more than that to find the nearest road.
>
> --Art Carlson

Except for a new (which you can't see) or full moon, you can use the
terminator as an indicator of a perpendicular direction to the plane
of the ecliptic.  Follow the implied ecliptic to either horizon to get
a sense of east and west.  If you're familiar with astronomy and can
anticipate whether the ecliptic should be north or south of the
celestial equator for the current date and time you can refine this
indication of east or west direction.

Jim
| Jim Cobb          | 540 Arapeen Dr. #100 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |
| Parametric        | Salt Lake City, UT   |     (801)-588-4632 |
|  Technology Corp. |           84108-1202 | Fax (801)-588-4650 |
With lies you may go ahead in the world, but you can never go
back.           -- Russian Proverb