So far as I know the sun compass was in use in North Africa only. The
compass was very specific, it was equipped with the plate engraved with the
so called Weir Diagram which consists of concentric ellipses. The diagram's
main purpose is determination of azimuth with few simple actions. Accuracy
is about 0.3 degree.

I think the main reason to use them in the desert was simplicity and
reliability as most days are sunny there. Some soldiers said the plate was
annoying because after a time of looking at it it resembled wild animal eyes.

Using not compensated magnetic compass in a tank (who would compensate them
in combat conditions) is fine for short distances of say few kilometers,
from this forest to that village. This was not the case in the desert where
navigation sometimes was like at sea and orientation points were very few.

I sailed few times in steel yachts (btw, very good and easy to maintain in
spite of all appearances) and magnetic compasses required special care. You
had to make error table for different courses few times a year at least as
the magnetic field of the yacht changed. You could not use hand bearing
compasses because you did not know their errors in different places on the
yacht and errors could be up to 20 degrees. For taking bearings the main
compass mounted on deck was used. There was another compass for helmsman.
Both compasses had separate deviation tables for different courses.

Theoretically when compass error (called also deviation and not to be
confused with variation (declination)) exceeds 10 degrees, compensation
should be done. Once we took a proffessional guy (from big ships) to do
this. He did his job very well and it took him few hours to place little
magnets in the cockpit around helm compass. Yet next day at sea we removed
all magnets because they worked fine only when there was no heel. Yachts
spend most of their time heeling however, and the heel changed magnets
positions with respect to the compass. Compass was more or less always
level thanks to Cardan suspension but the magnets were attached to the
cockpit and moved up and down and changed their distances too.

On steel yachts there is also heel deviation which on courses close to N-S
may be up to few degrees. Most magnetic fields of the hull work in
horizontal plane. But yachts (and ships) spending most of their time on the
Northern hemisphere become also veritcal magnets with S pole at the keel
(most keels are of steel, lead is too expensive). This field does not
affect the compass when the yacht is level. When the yacht heels, the poles
of this magnet are left and right of the compass and start working. The
effect obviously is biggest on N-S courses.

Still I am sure that John (Pickard) is successful when using his compass
inside the car. And there is no need to fight GPS. Our old methods are
fine, GPS is fine too. We are proud that our methods work by candle light
(logarithmic tables), they are proud because GPS works instantaneously. And
they have spare batteries of course.

Few dialists doubted usefullness of magnetic compasses because of all those
errors. You simply have to gain practice with compasses and they become
useful, even in the city. I measured very accurately deviation in few
places around my house using my new lovely hand-bearing compass (French
Mini Vion 2000). The deviation caused by metal parts of the house was up to
2 degress. Much bigger was the one caused by electric torch when it was on
and placed by my feet. I did not need it for the compass but to look at the
watch to read time at night.

John, I often have this compass in my car too and take readings on
highways. Do not worry, I do it carefully.

All best

Slawek

Slawek Grzechnik
32 57.4'N   117 08.8'W