>  If brass numbers are epoxied to marble stone, will
>  their different coefficients of thermal expansion
>  break the bond?

Sorry to be coming in so late on this.  Work pressures -
got to go there five days a week and work eight hours (or
more) too.  Ridiculous!

This is a transient thermal problem but let's say the brass
temperature follows the stone's temperature well because the
glue is thermally conductive enough to sink it.

Ordinary brasses' coefficients of thermal expansion (CTEs)
hover around 20E-6 per degree C.

The CTE of granite is 7E-6 per degree C. +/- 10%.  I think
it's true that granite weathers better than marble, though
its aesthetics may leave something to be desired in your
application.

Marble can be a bit anisotropic, but below is a typical
maximum value.  Marble also displays some hysteresis, so
you can heat it once and expect a lower CTE thereafter.
The CTE of marble is 10E-6 per degree C in the maximum
expansion direction and near zero in the other direction.

As suggested previously, a compliant form of epoxy will
help handle the shear from the differing CTEs.  You can
make epoxy more compliant by adding ascorbic acid or you
can buy it that way.

Another thing that helps compliance is to make sure the
bond line is thick enough.  Epoxy is available with glass
beads in it to set bond line thickness precisely, but you
could simulate that with strategically-placed shims.  Just
don't put shims near the edge of a bond.  A thicker bondline
is better even though it will weaken the bond, because bond
strength isn't your problem here.

The edge of the bond is where rips start.  A good rip-stop is
a chamfer on the edge of the letter.  About a 10 degree angle
is good.   Since a radian is about 60 degrees, 10 degrees
would be an angle of about 1 in 6.  Try to at least double
the bondline thickness at the edges.  Also, leave the
curve of epoxy at the edge in place if you possibly can.
This is also great rip-stop protection.  If it is naturally
too big and unsightly, wipe the excess off while the epoxy
is still "wet".

Your marble could easily get to 80 C if it's sitting in the
sun.  That should also help the compliance.

So let's say you bonded at 25 C because epoxy sets up better
and faster when it's warm.  In use the temp settles out at
80 C.  Difference is 55 C.  The difference in CTEs is either
20E-6/C or 20 - 10 = 10E-6/C and we pick the larger figure.
Your numeral is maybe 25 mm at its largest extent, so asuming
the center of the numeral stays put, the distance to the
farthest edge is 12.5 mm.  Then that farthest edge moves
(55C)*(20E-6/c)*(12.5 mm) = .014 mm = .0005 inches.

OK, so the shear strain (gamma) is .014 mm divided by your
bond line thickness, which is maybe 0.14 mm: .014/.14 = 0.1
By Hooke's law, stress and strain are proportional.  For
tension and compression, the proportionality constant is E,
and for shear, the proportionality constant is G.

For Dexter Hysol 9309.3NA, a compliant epoxy
Modulus of rigidity, G, is 855 Mpa or 124 ksi
The maximum allowable shear stress, tau, is 29 MPa or 4200 psi
These figures are for 25C and I'm having the devil of a time
finding G for elevated temp, though max stress falls to 6.9 MPa
or 1000 psi at 82C.  I'd assume G would also fall, maybe faster
than allowable stress, so we can probably get away with using
the 25C figures.

For Dexter Hysol 9394, a rigid epoxy
G is 1204 MPa or 148.5 ksi at 25C
Tau max is 29.0 MPA or 4200 psi @ 25C  (same as for 9309.3NA)
Tau max is 20.7 MPA or 3000 psi @ 82C  (better than 9309.3NA)

The elegant way would be to look at the allowable strain for
each epoxy.  Maximum allowable stress (tau) divided by G will
give us maximum allowable strain (gamma).  Whatever allows the
most strain is best in the respect we've been discussing.

For Dexter Hysol 9309.3NA, a compliant epoxy @ 25C
gamma max = tau/G = 29 MPa / 855 Mpa = .034

For Dexter Hysol 9394, a rigid epoxy @ 25 C
gamma max = tau/G = 29 MPa / 1204 Mpa = .024

Neither of these make the grade with the .14 bondline thickness
so we have to triple or quadruple the bondline thickness to get
strain down to what we can live with.

Conclusion.
You need half a millimeter (.020") or more bondline thickness
to pull this off, based on this cursory examination.  That's a
thick bondline.

Summary.
The amount of movement is related to the difference in the CTEs
and the temperature change.  The amount of movement divided by
the bondline thickness is the strain.  The maximum allowable
strain is related to the maximum allowable shear stress and the
modulus of rigidity.

What else can you do?  Well, titanium's CTE matches granite's
pretty darned well.  How about gold-plated Ti on granite?  8-)
Other than that, I'd take Bill Gottesman's advice, but check the
suggested adhesives at 80C, just in case.

John B