I have to agree with Sara Schechner about taxonomy.  We really
MUST keep to a standard format for describing all dials.

        I have one question for Sara.  In the case of a universal dial,
you say, 'a dial adjustable for multiple latitudes'.  I feel that we
should perhaps sub-divide this into 3 (or possibly more) categories.  I
look forward to any comments that you may like to make.

1       A dial that covers all latitudes 90°N to 90°S.  This is truly
UNIVERSAL.  (We could even apply this to dials that perhaps do not quite
reach the 90° of both poles.  Many only cover 80°N-80°S or thereabouts).

2       A dial that covers just the Northern Hemisphere (or Southern).
This could be called SEMI UNIVERSAL.  But then, should we specify which
hemisphere?

3       A dial with a limited range of useful latitudes, like a
Butterfield, this could be PART UNIVERSAL. (It doesn't sound nice.
There must be a better description.)

        There are also some dials, quite rare that cover 60°N to 10°S.
I think that I would call these PART UNIVERSAL.

        The question therefore is, 'What can we call these various sub-
divisions of UNIVERSAL?'  I look forward to your comments.

        As an alternative approach we could get round this by specifying
the angles of universality.  e.g., UNIVERSAL 60°N - 10°S.  This is a
more scientific way of doing it.  Again, I look for your comments.

        Regards,
        Mike.
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        Cambridge, UK.