>>>       As an alternative approach we could get round this by specifying
the angles of universality.  e.g., UNIVERSAL 60°N - 10°S.  This is a
more scientific way of doing it.  Again, I look for your comments.<<<<

In cataloging sundials in museum collections and elsewhere, this is precisely
the approach I take.

Traditionally, the term "universal" is understood to imply only a limited range
of latitudes (perhaps due to the term's eurocentric origins) and really is
shorthand for "serving multiple latitudes."  Given the long history of the
term, I don't want to change it or introduce "semi-universal," etc.  But as you
suggest, I think it best to identify the parameters in which the dial is in
fact "universal."

Sara