Daniel Lee Wenger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The reading of standard time via a sundial may be accomplisted by
> mearly reading the declination of the sun and using an analemma,
> determining standard time. At no point is the current date needed to
> do this.

Way, way back I explained why I was not totally satisfied with this
method, essentially because there are (almost always) two values of
the EoT for each value of declination.  At the solstices there are
even an infinite number of values (in some technical sense).
Consequently, if you are interested in relating the sundial reading to
clock time, you always need some knowledge of the current date.

Art Carlson