Hi Claude,

You wrote:

>The new BSS glossary does not even list the term,
> "bifilar".

This is not so - it is there under "dial types", and reads:

bifilar ~: invented in 1922 by Hugo Michnik in its horizontal form, although
it can be on any plane.  The time is indicated by the intersection on the
dial plate, of the shadows of two wires (or other lines in space) stretched
above and parallel to it.  The wires often run E-W and N-S, with their
(different) heights above the plane being a function of the location of the
dial. It may have equiangular hour markings, and hence can be delineated to
show many kinds of hours.

Whilst we might discuss whether the definition needs extending to cover
non-straight wires, I think this covers the most usual forms,

Regards,

John

Dr J R Davis
Flowton, UK