Sent: 01 May 2001 16:13
Subject: Solar Noon & Equation of Time Calculator

Hi Piers ,
I have visited with a lot of interest your Solar Noon Calculator on the web
at www.solar-noon.com and I have immediately made some tests to compare your
values with those calculated from me and published in an article in the
proceedings of our  "X Seminario di  Gnomonica" ( X Italian Meeting on
Sundials - 2000)
Here are some considerations of mine

1)
>From the comparison I have immediately seen that your results are wrong
because of a banal error: anywhere the value of the EoT has been or taken
with opposite sign or subtracted instead that added.
An  example : Long. =12d E and TZ of Central Europe (central Meridian 15 d
East): longitude correction =+3d = +12m
At 1/1/2001  the exact value of the Eot = - 3m41s an so :
- Local Apparent Time (apparent solar time) = 12h
- Local mean time (local mean solar time) = 12h 3m 41s
- Standard Time = 12 15m 41s (NASS Dialist Companion gives  the value, less
approximate, 12h 15m39s  )
In the Table calculated with the Solar Noon Calculator is written the value
= 12h08m48s, value that is obtained  adding (instead that subtracting ) the
value of the Eot: 12h+12m+(-3m12s) = 12h08m48s

2)
The table of the EoT NOT gives the values of the EoT but the Total
correction that it is necessary to add to the Local Apparent Time to obtain
the Standard Time : it is therefore the sum of the EoT + longitude
correction..
This value is certainly very useful but, perhaps, it is necessary to give
some  explanations and it is opportune not to call it Eot

Moreover in this way the table with the values of noon is useless because
these values are equal to those of the  EoT + 12h
The definition :
"Equation of Time displays the difference between solar time and the
standard times where you are"
(note at the foot of the page) it is not correct.
Davis' Sundials Glossary gives the following:
Equation of Time: the time difference between Local Apparent Time (apparent
solar time) and mean solar time at the same location (NOT Standard Time).
Its value varies between extremes of about +14 minutes in February and -16
minutes in October.

3)
Checking only for the date 1/1/2001 I have found that the error between the
exact value and the mean value of the EoT = 3m41s -3m12s=29 sec: almost the
double of the maximum error (in the Note).
With NASS Dialist Companion we obtain  the less approximate value Eot =
3m37s: also with this value the error would be of 25s
Does the greater error depend on the fact that the Eot has been calculated
at 0h (UT) instead that at 12h (UT)
In fact the Eot can also change till 20s a day.

4)
In my opinion it is very useful, for instance in the construction of
sundials with mean time, to have a table of the mean values of the Eot (as
of the mean declination of the Sun), while the table  that gives the mean
local
noon (mean on 4 years) can be used in a  wrong way.
In fact these tables, that should be used only for the search of the mean
time from  the apparent solar time given by a sundial, could be considered
right also in the search of the declination of the walls.
In this case it is better to use the true value of the EqT calculated with
programs as NASS Diallist Companion
Perhaps a note could clarify the thing.

5)
As in almost all Web sites,  also you take as positive the Longitudes for
places   West of  Greenwich.
Despite the opinion of the known astronomer J. Meeus, with which also Davis
agrees in his Sundial Glossary, even if a secular tradition justifies this
definition, it is NOT correct.
The Explanatory Supplement to the Astronomic Almanac (USNO 1992) at page 203
affirms:
"The geocentric longitude is defined by the angle between the reference (or
zero) meridian and the meridian of point p, measured EASTWARD around the
Earth from 0 to 360 deg (IAU, 1983, p.47)   "

Perhaps it would be opportune, at least in new programs and in new
Web sites , to use this correct definition

Best wishes

Gianni Ferrari