Hi All

I often email drawings and pictures of sundials to clients and people on
this list. But I always have to be careful not to send too many at once, or
my email will reject my mail for being too large. To email photographs, I
use JPEG format. And to send Delta Cad drawings I scanned the drawing and
send it as a JPEG.  I had always thought that JPEGs where the best format to
use for emailing because the files are small and everybody can open them.

It occurred to me to compare the file size of a typical JPEG photo to the
same photo in PDF format (I thought for sure the PDF would be the larger).
To my amazement, the PDF file was 20% of the size of the JPEG! The JPEG was
240 KBs. and the PDF was only 46 KBs.  This allows me to quickly email more
pictures on my crummy 56K modem.

As for emailing Delta Cad drawings, now I don't have to scan them and send
as JPEGs. I can save and send these as PDFs too, and the quality is much
better than a scanned JPEG.

Perhaps PDFs will replace JPEGs as the photo format of choice in the future.
What do you think?

John

John L. Carmichael Jr.
Sundial Sculptures