The use of grid squares for the U.K. National Grid was introduced to reduce
the number of digits required to give a reference. E.g., for a place with full
National Grid coordinates 538857.2345 metres easting, and 177345.3456
metres northing (a position given to the nearest 0.1 millimetres -- pushing
the limits of even GPS technology), the grid square designation to the
nearest metre is TQ 3885777345. Grid squares are  really only helpful for low
precision references. See <http://www.gps.gov.uk/natgrid/introduction.asp> for
further explanation.
-- Richard Langley
   Professor of Geodesy and Precision Navigation