Hi John,

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use extracts from the BSS Glossary in
your pop-up windows - thanks for the compliment!  It might be reasonable to put
a credit to the BSS and a link at one point in the screed (as an electronic
equivalent to a footnote).  I'm happy to leave it to you to decide the most
convenient way to do this.

I'd be interested to see which terms you choose to link to.  Some of the
definitions are being updated in the next edition - hopefully not in a way that
would contradict any use you might put them to.

Best regards,

John

>  from:    John Carmichael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  date:    Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:12:45
>  to:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  cc:      sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
>  subject: Re: Glossary Permission to use
>
> Hi John:
>
> I am updating my website and my new webmaster suggested that I include a
> short glossary of those sundial terms found in my site to help people
> understand. He suggested that I keep it simple and is thinking about using
> pop up windows with the definitions when the terms appear in the text.
>
> I could write my own definitions, but I know I could never do it as well as
> you have in the BSS Glossary and I'd probably make some mistakes.
>
> Do BSS members or anyone else have permission to quote definitions directly
> from the BSS Glossary? If so, would I have to credit The BSS in each pop up
> window?  Some dialists might want to include direct links to the BSS
> Glossary, but I notice that it does not have a direct link.  To access it
> online, one must go to the BSS website and then link to it.
>
> Thanks
>
> John
>
> John L. Carmichael Jr.
> Sundial Sculptures