Hi Mac et al,

You are, of course, completely right - you can turn a polar dial around its
gnomon to make allowance for the EoT - my humble apologies.  It isn't intuitive
(to me, at least) that this should work and I foolishly made my comment without
experimenting or doing the maths.  I have now done so and it is quickly clear
that the distance of the shadow edge from the noon line is the height of the
gnomon multiplied by the tan of (hour angle plus rotation angle of the
dialplate).

Question: does it become a declining polar dial once the dialplate is rotated?!

The mechanics of making such a dial will be interesting if it is to be robust
enough to survive the elements.  Does anyone know of a real dial in a public
place?

Happy Hogmanay to all diallists,

John Davis
---------