Hi Tony et al,

Yes, I did some experimental dials in anodised aluminium a few years ago,
following your excellent advice.  I haven't had the actual dials outside all
the time, but I have had an Equation of Time plaque made by the same method on
the south wall of my house (in the full glare of English sunshine!) for four
years.  It's silver (natural) anodised with black lines and lettering.  As far
as I can tell by eye, it's suffered no degradation at all.

Although the black-on-silver is close to perfect for shadow visibility, my
customers are a very traditional bunch and prefer brass/bronze, so there's not
much call for the anodisation.

Regards,

John
----------------------

>  from:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  date:    Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:46:22
>  to:      sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
>  subject: Re: Construction Project
>
> Rudolf Hooijenga asked:
>
> >Hello Tony and other readers of the list,
> >either I was not subscribed then, or I skipped it because I was not going to
> >work on aluminium,
> >but I would be really interested in a repeat now. Would you please?
>
> Hi Rudolf,
>           As it is a text only message I'll risk boring everyone by repeating
> my original postings some of which were in response to other queries.  I have
> to say that while many years ago I did dozens of projects in creative
> anodising none of them ever included an actual sundial. John Davis on the
> other hand has experimented with this and might wish to comment on its
> potential in particular durability and resistance to ultra violet light which
> was queried last time around.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Tony M.

Dr J R Davis