Does anybody else agree with me ?

Regards and best wishes to all those that contribute to the sundial list.

David.  Newbury UK.

Message date : Sep 26 2003, 08:35 AM
From : Thibaud Taudin-Chabot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To : sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
Copy to :
Subject : Re: Dialist's Companion

A navigator is not a dialist.

A navigator always wants to know where the North is, that is why North is
upon your maps.

A dialist looks always to the South and is turning left or right from
that direction.

Thibaud

At 07:39 26-09-2003, you wrote:

Why is the sun's azimuth shown as
180 degrees east or west of south, when my Astro Compass and I daresay
navigators work in 360 degrees from north ?

Can the Dialist Compansion show both.

Message date : Sep 25 2003, 08:15 PM

From : Fred Sawyer

To : Sundial List

Copy to :

Subject : Dialist's Companion

In a recent response to John Carmichael, I

referred to some capabilities of the Dialist's Companion
program.  It seems

that a number of people where unaware of these features.  After
checking

the Help page, I discovered that we evidently did not document them -
so no

wonder that they are still a bit mysterious.  This will give a
little more

detail:

If you are at the

main page of the Dialist's Companion, you can toggle the clock on and
off by

hitting the End key (part of the home, end, PgUp, PgDn, and arrow
keys

arrangement).  Notice the small box just to the left of the
Julian Date on

the screen; once you have hit the End key, the rotating line in this
box changes

to a V - for virtual mode.  When in this mode, the clock is off.
You can

set the date, latitude, etc. as usual, using the D, T, O keys - or
you can

change the date and time by using the PgUp, PgDn, Ins, Del and arrow
keys

to step your way through the hours and days.  Note that with
each change in

time or date, all the values are recalculated and remain on the
screen until you

change the time again.  This makes working with calculations
much

easier.

size=2>

To start the clock

up again, hit End.  Note that the clock progresses again as
before - but it

picks up where you left off in the calculator mode.  So you can
mimic the

clock's functioning at any time of the day or year.  The box to
the left of

the Julian Date will still show V, meaning you are still in virtual -
not real,

current mode.  To change back to current mode, press Home - this
brings you

back home to the real world and synchronizes the software with your
computer's

clock/calendar.  Note that the box now changes from V to the
rotating

line/arrow you are familiar with.  Be sure to have the clock
going when you

hit Home - otherwise the program synchronizes with the clock for only
a split

second - the clock continues but if you have the program still in
calculator

mode, it will not change.

size=2>

I hope this helps -

and perhaps uncovers capabilities that you didn't know the program

had.

size=2>

Fred

Sawyer