Hi Claude,

Thanks very much for taking the time to research this for me.  Martha Villegas
has directed me to some useful sites in Mexico and it seems that there wasn't a
single style of dials for this type of building.  So my colleague (who is a
client for a brass dial) can let his imagination go.

Hopefully, if he completes a dial I will be able to post a picture.

Regards,

John
-----------------------------------

>  from:    Claude Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  date:    Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:02:22
>  to:      sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
>  subject: Re: Spanish style sundials
>
> I have searched for a spanish site with a number of images with little
> success.  The best link was on the "links" page of the NASS site,
> www.sundials.org/links.  The one listed as "Relojes de Sol"
> has a page with links to pages having images.
>
> Many of these pages show some very "modern" forms.
>
> I have tried to find out if sundials were used in the California missions.
> The curators at two museums, one in Newport Beach and one at Santa Barbara,
> could find no references.  The only sundials
> seem to be 19th century horizontals that were added in recent times.   If
> there were ever any verticals on some walls they have either not survived or
> have not been recognized as such.
>
> Claude Hartman
> Arroyo Grande, California
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Dear Colleagues,
> >
> > A Californian diallist who is not a member of this list wants to put a
> > vertical sundial on a local church building, now used as a community centre.
> >
> > The church was built in the early 1900s but to the earlier "Mission-sytle".
> >  The wall is approximately south-facing and of white stucco.  It is likely
> > that the dial will be painted onto the wall.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to suitable styles of dial (probably from the
> > Spanish-speaking world) that would be appropriate to the site, please.
> >
> > Thanks in anticipation,
> >
> > John D
> >
> > Dr J R Davis
> > Flowton Dials