Hi Again Michael,

Here is one reference to making a "Universal Ring Dial".  It is on
Karen Robinson's web site and uses a wooden embroidery hoop to
make it.  http://www.angelfire.com/my/zelime/howto.html#hoop
On the same page she has her version of doing a similar thing with
just her fingers.  The closure on the outer ring of the wooden
embroidery hoop keeps it from being truly 'universal', but there are
several ways around it.  One is to counter weight the closure on the
opposite side, and add an latitude scale on the outside, the second is
to make your own set of fitted rings from slices cut from vinyl tubes
that have been heated and expanded/shrunk over/inside tapered
bottle necks. ( Plastic Water Pipe ) .  Of course two rings of brass
would make a nice one.  This device is also basically a folding
armillary sphere on which much is in print on construction.  Even
Waugh's book, probably in your library, or cheap used has info on
them.

Hope this helps!

Edley.

Hello,

  As the subject says, I am looking for any information of the making of
universal ring dials.   So far I've only been able to find links to buying
them or seeing collections of them.  I would prefer any free sources, but
books would be welcome suggestions as well (especially with ISBN)  I
participate in some renaissance festivals and instead of having afew of them
configured for the different areas it would be nice to have a single 'pocket
watch' that can be used anywhere.

  Also, is there a way to create a 'normal' sundail that is specific for a
location and time frame?  Such as the month of may in chicago, taking into
account the equation of time?

Thank you,
Michael Alexander