> >From: "J. Tallman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >The question was asked whether there have been any classical/traditional
> >sundial mottos, in Latin or otherwise, that have been used on
church/clergy
> >related dials throughout history.

I don't know if the following quote is classical/traditional or not.  If I
were to put myself in your clergy friend's shoes, I would like the person
looking at the sundial to reflect about what's important in life.

The sun rises and the sun sets,
     and hurries back to where it rises.
Ecclesiastes 1:5 (NIV)

The context of the verse talks about the meaningless of activities.
The book Ecclesiastes comes to the conclusion of what's important in the
last chapter.

Hopefully on reading the inscription on the sundial, the person would go
back and read the entire short book to get a new perspective of what's
important in life.

hth
weemeng