Frank King asked:

> Clocks controlled by Rugby (U.K.) and Frankfurt (Germany)
>seem not to resynchronise until two or three hours
>after the event.  Can anyone explain why?

I'm afraid I can't explain why this is so but it is worthwile mentioning 
a sundialling relevance. Some years ago, with my brand brand new 
radio-controlled clock, I set off to align the new dial at Worsall near 
Yarm only to find on arrival that the battery had jolted loose on the 
journey and the clock had stopped. Panic!  With 30+ villagers standing 
around to observe the event I was 'timeless' and of course the clock 
usually takes hours to re-set itself after re-connecting the battery. The 
solution was to knock on doors and set a digital watch to CeeFax time 
from TV, checked on several channels for consistency.  It is a terrible 
thing to be 'timeless' on such occasions!.  

These days I set the clock on my old Psion palmtop AND a backup digital 
watch to LAT for the dial location before leaving home thus saving 
flustered mental arithmetic in the face of an audience when my mind 
usually goes blank.  Even a few seconds of sunshine will then allow 
accurate dial alignment without stress.

Happy New Year to everyone on our wonderful SML.

Tony Moss

P.S.  I didn't know about the seven pip time signal.  Thanks Frank.
-

Reply via email to