Dear All,

How should a diallist see in 2006?  After all, the
new year starts at midnight when there is no sun
(except in the Antarctic) and, this time, it is
new moon too so those who like moon dials (always
a disappointment in my experience) will also be
out of luck.

Well, we do have a Leap Second to savour.  This
will be the first Leap Second since the end of
1998, and just might be the last, so we should
enjoy it to the full.  Accordingly, I present
three suggestions for making the most of an event
that lasts just one second:

 1. Listen to the speaking clock on a telephone.

 2. Tune into a broadcast seven-pip time signal.

 3. Stare at a radio-controlled clock or watch.

The first two can readily be recorded so you can
play them back to your friends later.  The third
needs a camcorder.

Don't forget that the Leap Second is just before
midnight UTC.  Those in most of Europe will have
to wait until almost 01:00 and for those in the
U.S. the event will take place in the afternoon
or evening depending on time zone.

In the U.K. the speaking clock has (or had) two
machines, one set a second behind the other.  The
change-over is made manually just before you hear
`At the third stroke...' heralding midnight UTC.
If the technician doesn't get it spot on you hear
`Ahhhhhht the third stroke...' instead.

The BBC generally make a mess of the seven-pip
time signal.  I have heard a ghastly disc jockey
talking all through it and, once, they gave us
the Chimes of Big Ben at the same time.

Staring at a radio-controlled clock is likely
to be gravely disappointing and you may have
to look at it for rather a long time.  Clocks
controlled by Rugby (U.K.) and Frankfurt (Germany)
seem not to resynchronise until two or three hours
after the event.  Can anyone explain why?

Enthusiasts will have noted that the coming Leap
Second will (so the International Earth Rotation
Service tell us) result in UTC changing from being
ca 0.66s ahead of UT1 to being ca 0.33s behind.
Users of heliochronometers should be able to
detect the difference.

If savouring the Leap Second is not to your taste
you can always open a bottle of your favourite
wine instead.  Indeed, why not do both?

Happy New Year

Frank H. King
Cambridge, U.K.