Now and then I pass a little shop that sells many kinds of watches. In the window they put a wide variety of them and among them several radio controlled watches. For some funny reason I check whether all these radio controlled watches show the same time. Often there is one, sometimes more, that displays a different time. So I asked the owner. He doesn't know why (he is just a seller) but he agrees it looks strange.
Thibaud Chabot

At 01:12 31-12-2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I make, repair, service and maintain Tower and Public clocks.  It is important that these are set to time correctly, other wise 'the whole town is led astray !

I carry not one, but two or three radio controlled clocks with me for setting these public clocks to time. There have been the odd occasion when one of these RC clocks has been displaying the totally incorrect time, or as Tony found out the battery came loose

It must be remembered that these clocks are radio receivers, therefore must be kept away from televisions, computers, tube lights, running car engines etc. etc. while logging on. Once logged on the internal quartz clocks will keep the time if interferrence is present.

The way they work is that on first switch on, fitting a battery, the clock waits for the first set of time code signals, this is then compared with the second set of time code signals and sometimes a third set of time code signals.  If these received time code signals agree, then the time comes up on the clock display.

If the received signal is weak, due to the location of the clock, steel framed building or a neighbour's telly on the other side of a party wall, it can take several hours for enough comparison time codes to be received before the display will show up.
...


Th. Taudin Chabot, home email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to