Hi Frank et al,

  That's an interesting one!  I make Hawkshead about 3 deg. W of Greenwich so
assuming the second figure is a longitude difference, that would put the
location as approx 38deg 44' E or 32deg 44' W relative to the Prime Meridian.

  My first guess was that an eastern location was the most likely, with
Jerusalem or Constantinople (Istanbul) being the places most commonly found on
dials or old maps.  But Jerusalem is 35deg 10' and Constantinople is only
29deg.  Old longitudes are often wildly inaccurate but by 1845 they should have
been within a few arcminutes.

  The PL initials are new to me - how about 'Palestine' or some varient?

  Nowhere is South America or Greenland looks attractive for an eastern
location.

  So I'm stumped for the moment!

  Regards,

  John

Frank Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Greetings, fellow dialists,
Reference the sundial on the Old Grammar School, Hawkshead, Cumbria,
England. The school is a museum, famous as the place of William
Wordsworth's education. Over the door is a fine dial dated 1845 with
stated co-ordinates, latitude "54 deg. 22 min. 10 sec." and longitude
"PL 35 deg. 43 min. 40 sec."

The latitude appears to refer to the correct location but the longitude
is a puzzle which the museum curator was unable to explain. Longitude
eastward of Greenwich lands in an unremarked location in the middle of
Russia but westward takes us close to Recife, formerly Pernambuco,
Brazil. No significant place on the coast there (lighthouse, etc) fits
but I am wondering if there is or was an observatory in or near the
middle of the town. And what can the letters PL mean?
Any suggestions for this strange longitude citing?
Frank, 55N 1W