Hi John and sundiallists everywhere,

  You might be interested to know that Harriet James and I are currently making
a vitreous enamel on steel dial to replace an art-deco painted steel dial on a
private house.  The original iron scrollwork gnomon will be reused.  The firm
doing the enamelling are called Vitramet - they also did the set of four large
vertical towers dials I designed for Houghton Hall in Norfolk.

  During the BSS Cambridge Conference we all admired the set of 6 dials on the
Gate of Honour at Gonville & Caiuis College.  These were enamelled in the
1960s, I think, by a firm in Birmingham who seem to have disappeared now.

  Regards,

  John Davis

John Carmichael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Dear Frank (cc
Sundial List):

  I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed seeing you and getting a chance
to talk with you at the conference, especially our discussions about the
possibility of using durable fired porcelain instead of paint for the
replacement of old deteriorated painted sundials.