Hi Roger:

That's about right if I recall.  The shift towards the dark side seemed to
be somewhere between 75% to 85%.  We used a shadow sharpener to determine
this.  But it was a rough judgement call and not all that precise.  To
really get a value that is more precise, I think you would need to conduct a
well-executed experiment.

I wondering where this great discussion will take us?

Which leads me to ask a question for those of you who are mathematicians and
those of you who make sundial generator programs:

If we know the exact amount amount of shadow shortening that occurs on
monumental sundials, then would it be possible to add this correction to a
sundial generator program like ZW 2000 as a design option?  The sundial
generator program would then make drawing of the sundial face with built-in
shadow shortening correction.

Many of our popular sundial generator programs have design options that
allow us to correct designs for such things as atmospheric refraction,
longitude correction, EOT date, etc.  This would just be another correction
tool that an anal retentive dialist could use to make "the perfect sundial".

Would it be worth all the trouble?  I'm not sure.

What do you guys think?

John