I am not recalling the details, but a few years ago I read an excellent
book "The Sun and the Church," about the meridian lines placed in a few
cathedrals in Europe, to help predict the date of Easter.  Apparently,
the information gathered from these giant and precise meridian lines was
sufficient to eventually allow renaissance scientist/mathematicians to
conclude that the Earth's orbit was elliptical, and not circular, and
that the sun, not earth, was at the center of the solar system.  The
church scientists had to present these conclusions as hypothetical,
because of Galileo's then recent confinement for publicly expressing the
same opinion.  The irony is that the very same meridian line that was
built to support church doctrine (Easter) was found to disprove other
church doctrine (Ptolemaic solar system).

-Bill Gottesman