From: Kevin Karney <ke...@karney.com>
Subject: Re: Google's Art Project and dialling
To: patrick_pow...@compuserve.com
Cc: sund...@rrz.uni-koeln.de
Date: Friday, 4 February, 2011, 16:49

Now take a look at Holbein's Nicholas Kratzer, painted in 1528 which is in the
Louvre (copy in National Portrait Gallery). Kratzer was a German mathematician,
astronomer and instrument maker who worked as King Henry VIII's astrologer. He
was a drinking friend of Holbein. Find his picture in the Wikepedia entry for
Nicholas Kratzer.

Holbein was probably using Kratzer's instruments in the Ambassador's picture,
which was painted a few years later in 1533. Same shepherd's dial, same strange
instrument, same polyhedral dial (but unfinished), same little dial-like thing
with the spike and square hole on his table.

Best regards
Kevin Karney
Freedom Cottage, Llandogo, Monmouth NP25 4TP, Wales, UK
51° 44' N 2° 41' W Zone 0
+ 44 1594 530 595