I agree that it is not likely to be a sundial.  I wonder what markings are hidden under the flower bowl.  For example, this could be an anniversary sundial, marking solar noon with a light beam on a particular date.  Or maybe it is a type of compass aligned with the celestial pole.  Or maybe a mirror floats in the bowl, and the user looks down the tube, and their gaze is reflected up towards the pole star.  It would be nice to know if there are markings under that flower-pot!
-Bill

On 8/19/2011 3:19 PM, Frans W. Maes wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks to the increased attachment size I can post the illustrated question of Duncan Meyers to the list, together with my initial response. Any additional suggestions regarding the nature of this object?

Best regards,
Frans Maes

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Question on a possible sundial.
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 08:49:21 -0700
From: Duncan Meyers <electr0magn...@msn.com>
To: f.w.m...@rug.nl

Frans,

Yes, you are more than welcome to post it to the mailing list and see if anyone else knows or has an idea..  My thought when first seeing this was that it would allow light into the tube and focus the light to a point which would then move along a line and would track not only the time but also the date as well. Yes, the tube has lenses inside that has a small image when looking through it. Kinda like looking through the end of a telescope and you see an image but it is really small and far away.

I'm part of a solar spectrograph competition to design and build a spectrograph and was thinking about using this model as a setup design. So the light would pass through the tube and be reflected downward into the vertical tube where it would pass through a collimeter and then through the grating.

But, thank you for your help. I look forward to seeing what your members have to say.

Best regards,
Duncan Meyers
Connected by MOTOBLUR™ on T-Mobile